Friday, April 29, 2011

BP 14

object:
an object that I believe is well-designed, but most of all is special to me is a teddy bear I got when my grandma died.  all nine of her grandchildren received one that my mom and uncles had specially made for us.  each one is unique, and made out of an item of clothing she owned.  because of this, each bear reminds me of a specific memory where she was wearing that outfit.  when people ask, what's one thing you would grab if your house was on fire, that would be it for me.  I don't have a picture of it and didn't bring it to school with me so I can't take one.


space:
a space that I believe is designed well is the court-yard area of the louvre where the pyramids are set into the ground.  the sheer size of the surrounding building is extremely humbling and puts you in your place, especially when you think about all the amazing art that is inside.  when you walk through the arched tunnel, the space opens up before your eyes and covers a lot of surface.  this is juxtaposed to most of the other buildings in paris, which are very vertical.


building:
a building that I think reflects my design values is the pantheon in rome.  light is an important aspect of design to me, and the focal point of the pantheon is the oculus.  there is this huge idea that the world is inscribed inside the building, and each detail has a specific meaning and purpose.


place:
a place that reflects my design values is an outdoor hammock.  a hammocks sole purpose is to create a comfortable and relaxing place for people.  it has a strong connection to nature and outdoors, which I like to incorporate in my design.  the way the natural sunlight shows through the leaves is always changing the space under the tree, so this creates a setting that is different time you use the hammock.  I want to design places that are unique to every person and will have them experience it in a different way.




images:
http://www.travelpod.com/travel-photo/jennymg/1/1272042162/hammock-under-the-mango-tree.jpg/tpod.html
http://blog.lib.umn.edu/schue141/matt_machete/2008/02/free_at_last.html