Thursday, February 03, 2011

my manifesto

A manifesto is defined as a public declaration.  This could mean declaring your beliefs, ideas, insight, visions, and so much more.  Everyone is entitled to his or her own beliefs and the way they perceive things.  I think inspiration can be gained from anywhere, your final product or creation just depends on how you twist your inspiration by using what you know and what you have learned.  For me, my inspiration mainly comes from the things I am working with and nature.  I usually don’t have a set way I want to do something, but just try many different ways to bring my idea to life.  I enjoy seeing what the materials I am working with can and can’t do, and what materials may work best for a certain project.

In Designerly Ways of Knowing, Nigel Cross states, “Designing is something that all people do; something that distinguishes us from other animals, and (so far) from machines.  The ability to design is a part of human intelligence, and that ability is natural and widespread amongst the human population.”

I think this statement is very true, and everyone has his or her own creative and initiative thoughts.  It is nearly impossible if not impossible to have a completely original idea because everything comes from a precedent idea or object.  Everyone thinks of their ideas and inspiration in a different way; some after hours of research and some just go with their instincts.
Regardless to how you perceive things, how you find inspiration, what methods you use to create a design, or the skill level you have for designing, design is an unavoidable necessity.  It influences the world around us and creates new breathtaking possibilities.